Thursday, August 25, 2005

I dreamed I was dying, as I so often do... but when I awoke I was sure it was true

As usual, I spent far too much money on music this year. After all, I am a real fan who actually pays money for someone's work, unlike all you fuckers who take tunes from the net. Granted, I do that too, but if I like a band after hearing a couple songs, I generally buy their CD's. Regardless...

The Top 5 Albums of the Year:


5. The Arcade Fire - Funeral
It took me forever to buy this one because the price was always so damn high, but I'm glad I did. Full of solid and unique tunes, but there is reason to believe that a follow-up album won't live up to this one. The title of the album comes from the deaths that many of the band members had to deal with as this album was being made. That lead to alot of intensity and dedication to music, but we're left to wonder if that passion will be around for the next record. My guess is not likely, but who knows what will come of things.



4. Joel Plaskett - La De Da
The highly anticipated and acclaimed solo effort from Plaskett didn't disappoint me at all. There's only a couple tunes I don't particularly like, but the majority are dynamite. An album that was recorded for free and written on the road to the studio (in the States) could've bombed, but that just wasn't the case. The first little track sets to tone for some clever songwriting and catchy hooks. This east-coaster is a leader the Canadian-Indy scene, and I suggest you check him out.




3. Green Day - American Idiot
The triumphant return of Green Day couldn't have come at a better time. Oh wait... yes it could've. Maybe before that fucking election in the U.S. At any rate, this is by far the best showing these vet's have put out since the Dookie days. At that was when they were in their prime, 10 bloody years ago! Creativity was high on this politically charged album, and if you haven't heard it yet, you gotta get out and buy it. Personally, I have the special edition with some cool extras. I'll probably scan up some of the photos in the little book I got with the CD, since some of them are pretty cool. You can't help but sing along with this one, and that's exactly what we did at the live show. AMEN!


2. Steve Earle - The Revoultion Starts Now
With the exception of one weird song that's essentially spoken-word with a light musical backing, this record is easy-as-pie to get into. Especially if you have a political streak to you. And if not, there's a few tracks that lack any message in that sense. This has a good mix between serious and funny looks into the state of the U.S. system and players in the new "post-911 world". (what a fucking cliche, shoot me now). My one favourite songs has to be Rich Man's War. Amazing songwriting with a message that's clear as crystal. And if you want to see Earle at Camp Casey, click here. This dude is way underrated in today's music scene, and deserves a world of respect.


1. Stars - Set Yourself on Fire
The standout album of the year for me. I've listened to it dozens of times in the short while that I've had this CD. I remember debating between this one and an old BSS cd, and it's safe to say I made the right choice. It's best to listen to this one from start to finish I find, as the whole album has a good flow to it. The mix of a male and a female sharing the lead-singer role really helps the band create some fresh sounds and also allows for alot of diversity in the music. One of my fav's is the last song, but it's tough to pick a standout track on such an all-around good album.





Honourable Mentions:
Kings of Leon - Aha Shake Heartbreak
Matthew Good - White Light Rock & Roll Review
Stereophonics - Word Gets Around
The Mars Volta - De-loused in the Comatorium
The Trews - House of Ill Fame
Sum 41 - Chuck

No comments: