Monday, August 22, 2005

And you'll never read that book again, because the ending's just too fucking hard to take

I went to alot of concerts and saw alot of bands at festivals in the past year. Thus, I gotta comment on the best of the best.

My Top 5 Live Songs of the Past Year:

5. Weakerthans - Plea From a Cat Named Virtue
I saw these boys at the Hillside Music Fest down in Guelph, and they were a standout act. Gotta love a song that's written from the view-point of a cat too. Really clean sound when they did this one live, pretty flawless.

4. Modest Mouse - The View
One of my fav's from Good News, this was one of the very best songs they played down on Olympic Island this summer. The intensity of Isaac Brock during this song was something to behold, especially during the pow-pow-pow-pow part. We got the land, but those pricks have the view.

3. Matthew Good - Suburbia
A total surprise to hear this song, considering it was never even close to being a single, and was from a record that's over five years old. This show was my first at the Kee to Bala, and Matt put this one out there with alot of emotion and skill. Well done sir.

2. Joel Plaskett - Happen Now
This song is a new one off Plaskett's solo album La De Da. My bro, dad, and I were fortunate enough to see Joel in a solo set down in Toronto at the end of the school year. This one was so memorable because of the little red and black 4-string guitar he busted out to perform it. Pete Elkas added in some electric guitar, and it was performed early in the show. Really got the crowd into it, and showed off some serious talent.

1. Gordon Lightfoot - If You Could Read My Mind
I'm willing to bet that 90% of the people who went to Live 8 had absolutely no appreciation for this song, or made much note of Lightfoot at all. But let me tell you, this was the very best song performed that day, the best I saw all year, and possibly the best I've ever seen. Ever.
I heard it again on the radio, and the crowd sounds in the background only added to it. I certainly hope this one gets onto the DVD when it finally comes out. One man with a guitar in hand. Brilliant.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Completely agree about Lightfoot. Simply amazing.