Sunday, November 21, 2010

Shitter

In an act of pure gutlessness, I have joined the most jokeworthy of all social networking sites, and it's even worse than MySpace...
Against all common sense, I am on Twitter.

To be clear, there are three simple reasons that I've joined:

1) If, by some miracle, this terrible system sticks around and becomes an important part of the interwebs, I don't want anyone stealing my name. Mintvis is as Mintvis does.
2) Apparently employers are starting to use this thing to post jobs, and I'm always in the market for an upgrade.
3) I'm so fucking funny, that I've had a few prods from friends to join, just so they can read the brilliant BS that I spew forth.

I've never liked the system from the beginning. I think it reflects of terrible self-importance that pervades our society these days. Anyone can post their bowel movements, their dog's bowel movements, and various other forms of crap. And for the most part, nobody else gives a fuck, but people think that if they post it online it somehow gives them meaning in their lives. Guess what? It doesn't. Despite your mother's assurances, you're not special, you're just another goat in the line of a million other identical goats. Get the fuck over yourselves.

And secondly I fear that this thing will further decimate the English language as we know it. With such a limited amount of space with which to convey your most intelligent* thoughts, it's hard to imagine that the use of short-forms will do anything but expand in everyday speech.

Thus far I have made two tweets - one tester to see how things work, and one inadvertent tweet that happened as I commented on one of the less-than-exciting tweets my brother seems to be making on a regular basis. I don't know how the system works really, but I'm sure I'll catch up soon. All I see is a bunch of @ and # signs, and they don't mean jack at the moment. Just more noise in an already noisy-assed world.

I don't see myself using the thing much, but the one thing I will admit is that it takes alot less energy to post on there than it does on here. So keep an eye if you like, it might become more useful in the future. Personally I'm not holding my breath.


*Stupidest

No comments: