Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Words in print

I'd like to start off with a little opinion letter I read in the London Free Press the other day:

Pope’s fantasy world

Your front page article "Pope insists other churches not true" (July 11) blew my mind. Anyone who believes this kind of statement in 2007 is living in a fantasy world.
The only true church is the one that was practised by believers in the first century. Read about it in the Bible in The Acts of the Apostles. There were small groups of Christians who lived out this true faith through the centuries and a few who still do today. Many became martyrs then as well as today.
No church can claim the true path to salvation. Jesus Christ holds that distinction exclusively.


POSTED BY: Noel Paterson, London
POSTED ON: July 16, 2007


EDITORS NOTE: As published in The London Free Press on July 16, 2007.

"N
o church can claim the true path to salvation. Jesus Christ holds that distinction exclusively." And what of other religions? I guess they're all wrong because this guy says so?
Yet he's the one who thinks that everyone else is living in a fantasy world.
Ironic, sad, or disgustingly ignorant?
I say all of the above.


In other news, my boy Sid the Kid signed for another 5 years with my beloved Pittsburgh Penguins last week. Though he could've easily taken a deal for the league's maximum salary, he chose to take a few million less in order to help the organization build a stronger team. Good Canadian boy, you gotta love it.

Oh ya, and in more "news" the CBC has reported that "
Canadians approaching retirement are now the fastest-growing demographic in the country"

I put the word news in quotations because unless you have been in a coma for the past 50 or 60 years, you'd likely say be inclined to say NO FUCKING SHIT!
This isn't news! This is the most predictable shift in our demographic EVER!

I also finished reading another book today - East, West by Salman Rushdie.
And upon concluding these tales, I'd like to punch Salman in the face and tell him "It's SALMON you jerkoff, there's no second "a" in there. It's a tasty fish, try some."
Then I'd like to kick the idiot publisher who thought this book worthy of printing.
Just brutal.
Vonnegut told us to learn how to write without using semicolons; Rushdie must've taken that to heart. The only problem is, he doesn't know what a fuckin period is either.
Learn to write!

(I realise I just used a semicolon, I did it to be ironic)

No comments: