Friday, June 02, 2006

There's a reason that I hate this town...

I've just finished my 2nd week of work back at the old construction job, and it's as if I never left for 8 months, besides the fact that we're down one man. So now we've got a 5-man crew for the summer.

I wanted to stay down in London for the summer, but nothing came together for a lab job or anything like that, so I'm home til September again. Hopefully next year I'll find something that pays well and gets me on the road to a career, something like what my bro has found for now. He's doing an internship with the Blue Jays down in Toronto, and the idiot commutes 2.5 hrs each way everyday, sometimes even on the weekends too. But it's wicked that he got in with them, and hopefully a full-time job results. Failing that, he's still got an awesome stat for his resume.

Plus he can get free tix to games, which is dynamite. I've already been to two games, and already caught me a foul ball! "Mint that shit", I say.

I'm kinda worried that this summer won't be nearly as good as last. I had an awesome time at work, learning new shit all the time, and partying like mad on the weekends with concerts and trips and boozing.
But I fear that now I've learned most of what I need to know at work, and I'll get bored soon. I'm always interested in jobs until I learn everything, then I want to get the fuck out of the place. Shit, a few summers back I was running a machine the size of a garage in my 2nd week on the job at a factory - one my fucking own. There were 8 guys for 4 machines, and they gave me one to control all by my lonesome.

Never work in a factory children, it's bullshit.

And it looks like the concert listing this summer is BS compared to last year too. Plus I already missed getting tix for Hillside this year, they sold out with shitty bands cuz there was so much attention drawn by the ridiculous talent they had there last summer. Fucking bastards.

But at least the summer should go quick. I've been running around non-stop for the last month, and it flew by fast. And with all the shit I've got planned for weekends coming up, I know the rest of the summer will be gone before I know it.

That's probably a good thing, since I hate this fucking town.
It's all the little things about the city, the people, and my parents' place that really annoy me.

Apparently thug life has taken over the youth around here, and you should see the fuckin jokes wandering the streets that used to be in highschool when I was there. Literally dozens and dozens of losers that I wouldn't want to talk to in a million goddamn years, and they all think they're the king shit of this town. The one-horse town that it is...

It took a night of drinking downtown to remind me just how much I want to leave here. Some might say I'm an elitist now that I'm a Western kid, and I think I'm to good for this town. But the truth is, I'm the kind of person who outgrows things when they need to be grown out of.

This town is full of more hicks than you'd think - the type of gay-bashing, Nascar-watching, mullet-sporting, gun-toting, unintelligent fuckups that are the proverbial skidmark on the underpants of society.

It's all well and good when you're a kid and don't know any better or notice. But once you've seen what's out there in the world, certain places feel like cages.


If someone could please open the door and let me out, that would be phenomenal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Travis...you are stimulating at best and frustrating at worst. And yes, an exclusive elitist all around. Call me if you would like help off of your high horse and call Ralph Klein or Julien Fantino if you would like help removing "the proverbial skidmarks" from our streets, perhaps via snowplow, since they're free this time of year. :-p

Mintvis said...

Hey now, I said I hated Barrie, not Midhurst you damn elitist!

And if I'm not mistaken, you're the one with the horse... Juliet right??

Touche!