Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Save fate for the good days

Whenever exam time comes around, I always get to thinking about fate. I guess it's because I know that whatever the outcome is, I could've done better if only I had studied more. It always goes that way.
I personally don't believe in fate at all, I think it's bullshit. Merely a convenient excuse when we fail, but magically "the way things should be" when we win.

Some people do believe in fate, some don't, and some claim that the "big things" in life are due to fate, but the rest is just filler and details.

This last theory is a confusing one to me. If all the little choices we make have no bearing on where we'll go to school, where we'll live, who we'll marry, and where we'll work, how can these big things come to pass?
If you decided at the last minute to go to school X instead of school Y, your entire life will change from the path you might've taken otherwise.
If you decide to run a late yellow instead of stopping, you may never meet your future wife or husband cuz you're dead.
If you forget to set your alarm before the first day of your new job, suddenly that dream career of yours is fucked.
Suddenly these little things pile up and start to look alot more important than they did at first glance.

As for the theory of fate being something we're completely stuck with in every aspect of our lives, I pose the following questions: why do you cry when someone dies? why do you regret cheating on your spouse? why do you bitch and complain when you miss the bus?
After all, you had no control over these things right? It was fate.
Mind you, someone once told me that we cry, regret, and bitch because "we're only human". What the fuck kind of answer is that??? Sounds like a cop-out to me. If you've ever wished that you'd done something differently in the past, the mere fact that you're even considering that another outcome was possible shows that you don't really believe in fate at all. (that was a long confusing sentence, to lazy to fix it). Hypocrisy at it's finest...

Anyway, I think there's only one conclusion that really makes any sense: you have control over every little thing in your life, whether you know it or not.

Noone says it's fate when a baby dies in a car crash while the parents survive, but it's not rare to hear people say "what a beautiful couple, they were meant to be together" when they look at newlyweds. Again, I return to the term bullshit.

So save fate for the good days, and call the world a massive tragedy on the bad ones.

That's my opinion anyway.

No comments: