Friday, May 13, 2005

Performance and Cocktails... minus the cocktails

So the other day Fin and I took a trip to TO for the Stereophonics show at the Phoenix.

We met up with a few of his friends from school, all of whom we're pretty cool. I was worried that they'd be the really eccentric artistic types, but they weren't (which was a good thing). And amazingly I participated in the conversations alot for most of the night. Usually I'm pretty quiet around new faces (unless I'm loaded).

We went out for dinner, and as we sat down in our booth I noticed that my right pinky finger wasn't workin right. Imagine laying your hand down on a table, palm up, with your fingers stretched out flat. For some reason my one finger wouldn't go flat out, and even when I made a fist it gimped out on me. It was pretty freaky, cuz there was no pain involved, and I could use my other hand to make my finger go straight, but it never stayed in position. My first instinct was "fuck, I have leprosy". Thankfully it's back to normal now though. I did have alot of trouble clapping throughout the show tho, I kept crushing my finger between my hands.

So the show was pretty fuckin mint, I do say. They played alot of the new album, as well as alot of stuff from their first, since those were the hardest rockin albums of theirs. I've read a fair bit about how they wanted to get back to a heavier rock sound with the new album, so it wasn't a huge surprise that their lighter stuff wasn't played.

I had no idea that Kelly Jones was such a good guitar player. He had some solid solos, and most of the songs sounded really close to their album stuff. That's the sign of a good band ya know, cuz if they suck live, odds are they did hundreds of takes to get the album sounding perfect.

It's pretty cool to think back to Christmas, when I got my first Phonics album. Since then I've bought all but their latest (cuz I'm outta money). Strangely enough, even though they're one of the biggest band in Great Britain, most people over here have barely heard of em. Shame.

It was a really loud show and my ears are still ringin'. Gotta go get some shit done.

Cheers.

No comments: