Wednesday, May 25, 2005

I was looking for a job and then I found a job. And heaven knows I'm miserable now.

"In my life, why do I smile at people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?" Another gem of a lyric from The Smiths. Rock on.

So this past weekend was pretty sweet up at MacCrae Lake. We're known as the MacCrae Lake Muckers, and we have shirts and jackets to prove it. It's a guy thing (I don't expect Gow or Kozzy to understand).

Anyway, for once we got some good weather for the old May 2-4. Usually it's cold, windy as fuck, or pissing rain on us. Besides the harassment from some bugs it was good this year. Fishing was a bit shitty, but that's no big deal. We mainly go to just booze and take er easy anyway.

Friday night I got into some delightful mushrooms and copious amounts of beer. By the end of the night Fry from Futurama emerged from the stars and talked to me. Can't recall our conversation really. For some reason the rocks surrounding the fire kinda looked like Jordy and Worf from Star Trek too. They didn't talk though. And I also think my future self traveled back in time to give me some advice. Again, the words are lost to me now.

Needless to say, I was pretty useless all day Saturday. I got dragged out of my sleeping bag at 10 (still drunk) to go pick up my brother at the river that leads into the lake. I was pretty much out of it the whole day.

This year was a much smaller group than we've ever had. We usually have 25 or so, and this year there were only 11 of us in there. Some guys are getting to be too old for this kind of thing anymore, heart conditions and shit. And some said that last year's rain-fest was too much, and pussed out this year. Go figure it was good weather.

So we drank and fished and slept and drank till monday morning when we packed up for home. You can only get to this lake by boat really, and we have to drag all the boats over this big rock to ride them down a river/rapids dealie to get them into more open waters. Same goes for the trip in, but on the way out I'm usually the one who has to be in the damn boats as they fly downstream towards rocks and certain death. They send me cuz I'm such a featherweight. Sometimes it's fun though. Plus it means less walking for me.

On to bigger and better things...

Finally started work yesterday at my construction job. Yesterday was freezing cold in the wind and today was hot as fuck. Got me a nice forearm sunburn already. In two days I've worked 22 hours. Fuck that shee-at. And I don't even know my wage yet, but I expect it's decent cuz it's labour and they usually pay well if you're made to break your back all day. Today I was layin' pipe. All night long. Just to satisfy that woman! Is that Wilcox? I can't remember, but it is a funny song. Innuendos and soforth.

So now I'm tired as hell and must get some sleep. At this rate I'll be working overtime on a bloody 4 day week. Brutal, but I hope I'm all buff and stuff by the end of the summer. After all, I have been eating like a hungry hungry hippo these past 2 days. Except I don't eat marbles.

"I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour, but heaven knows I'm miserable now."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is Wilcox and if you turn on Rock 95 during the Legendary Lunch, you'll probably hear it. Damn Rock 95 and their predictability. Damn you and your vacation. Tell your brother that I hate him. We should do a Jays game soon!