Monday, June 11, 2007

She's got a hat and all the hat says is "asshole"

Joel Plaskett Emergency
Ashtray Rock
For a follow-up to the mini-EP that came with Make a Little Noise, I gotta say I expected more from this album. In my mind this record should have been released early in the band's career. It sounds polished, but the subject matter is just too juvenile. There's even a track called "Drunk Teenagers", and at this point Plaskett ought to be moving forward, not looking back at his highshool days. Despite the theme of a band breaking up (a throwback to the demise of Thrush Hermit?) this record just lacks intensity and passion.
I've read reviews saying it's Plaskett's best record yet - they're idiots. I've read reviews saying it's his worst yet - they're idiots too, but less so than the former critics.
Maybe it'll grow on me. Who knows.

Best Tracks: Face of The Earth, Cruisin', Nothing More to Say

Kings of Leon
Because of the Times

Their most produced-sounding record to date, Because of the Times still delivers what I love from the Kings - a unique sound that sets them apart from the crowd. So many songs get you doing the head-nod, your damn neck is sore after it's played through. They keep things pretty simple, but also pretty solid. McFearless is arguably the greatest name ever applied to any song ever. And these brothers just have such confidence in their music and their style you can't help but hear it on every track. The lyrics though... better bust out the liner notes for those. As usual.

Best Tracks: Fans, True Love Way, Ragoo, On Call

Modest Mouse
We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank


To me, this record is even better than Good News, and it surpassed my expectations. I listened to it once and tossed it on the backburner in favour of the raucous Kings of Leon album, but when I gave it another listen I picked up on alot of stuff I had missed the first time around. Now I'm on the 57th time around and I'm not even close to bored with it. I love the random noises, the odd transitions mid-song, and the catchy stuff too. Can't wait to see em again in concert.

Best Tracks: Missed The Boat, People As Places As People, Dashboard, We've Got Everything, Florida

Arcade Fire
Neon Bible

Yet again, a nice surprise to see these guys follow up an awesome record with another one. Gotta love that. Though I haven't listened to this album as much as the aforementioned, I still think it's worthy of a write-up at this point. Unlike their last album that centred around death, this one focuses on discontent in the modern world, and the angst that builds up when you feel that you can't escape any of the bullshit that lingers in everything you do. These guys also have a sound that defines them, and they definitely brought conviction to this record. Highly respectable, definitely worth a listen from start to finish.

Best Tracks: Keep the Car Running, (Antichrist Television Blues), Intervention

No comments: