Wednesday, August 23, 2006

That really grinds my gears

For the past week or so at work we've been doing our stoplight installation thang under some serious high tension power lines. There's three separate tower lines running above this intersection we're doing, two of them being 550 000 volts, and the last one 220 000 volts. I don't claim to know what the hell that means in usable elctricity, but it's fair to say that voltage like that would skullfuck anyone who touched the wires directly.

But what I've learned as of late is that electricity can jump a helluva long way.
And it really pisses me off.

Just touching one of our pickup trucks (which sits on the raod about 5o feet below the lines themselves) gives you a nice little jolt of power through the old blood and bones. Not to mention the shocks you get when standing 25 foot steel poles. We did that part of the job today, and as I was standing near a pole, maybe 2 feet away - not even touching it - it felt as though someone was firing little rocks at my arms at high velocity.

It's all probably boring as hell to most people, but it's been turning my stomach and pissing me off somethin fierce. So I got to thinking of a few other things that are really grinding my gears these days.

1. Men wearing capris. I'm not talking long shorts or pants that are hiked up too high. I'm talking summer-fun capris. Fuck off you stupid metrosexual or emo or whatever bastards you wanna be labelled as.

2. Cats. My brother has moved out, but he didn't take his fucking 4 cats with him. And seeing as my parents are away this week, I'm stuck with the little fuckers. I'm allergic to cats, especially the type that constantly wants to be near me.

3. Blogger. I'd write on here far more often if this damn program allowed me to put up pictures. Something's seriously fucked, so I tried to set up a flickr account. But I can't get in cuz they claim my password is wrong and doesn't jive with my Yahoo account. So that's another pain in the ass. Maybe I'll just resort to Photobucket or something.

4. Being at home. The dryer is euchred and sqeaks like a mofo. There is zero counter space in the kitchen. I have to wake up at 6 a.m. everyday. The shower curtain billows inwards and cramps my showering style. All in all, I can't fuckin wait to get home to London, if only to hear Mather yell "beverages!" every time he comes home.

5. Shoes. I'm currently in the market for a pair of white shoes for school (that's right, they're not gonna be black for once) but seeing as I'm picky as hell, it's getting rather frustrating trying to find a pair that I really like. There's just so much shit out there these days.

6. Censorship. I like the new Panic! At The Disco single, but it's totally fucking ruined on the radio. Can't say whore and can't say goddamned, but you can say shhhh and ___damned. I wish those goddamn whores would just let the song play as it should.

7. Bands who think they're cool cuz they title their songs with ridiculously long phrases. Panic! At The Disco and Fall Out Boy stand out in this category, but it's not the bands I dislike, just the titles.

8. Kelly Clarkson posters. For the life of me I cannot find one anywhere. Hilary Duff just won't do!

9. The John-Man. I hate him more now than I did when I wrote my "Dear John" letter. So you can imagine how much I want to be done work, can't ya?

No comments: