Sunday, February 19, 2006

There's something so poetic about smashing a half-filled bottle of Jack Daniels Old No. 7, don't ya think??

Tonight Steve and I watched Cast Away on TV cuz it's exam season and we just said "no dice" to studying for the evening.
I've always liked that movie. Kinda long and boring in parts, but rarely does a movie put you in that place where you really say to yourself, "What the fuck would I do in his shoes?"


I find the survival stuff pretty cool; I think it would be neat to be stuck like that and have to make do with what you have. A rough life, but I'm sure it would have it's rewards. Like insanity and starvation and things like that!

But the more poignant part of the movie is the end, when he's finally discovered and has to re-enter society as a normal person after years of isolation.

So Steve-o and I started thinking to ourselves how tough that would be. Just imagine coming home to friends and family that had forgotten and buried you; to nonexistent bank accounts and no place to live; to all of the comforts of life like a warm bed and running water. The world would've gone forward as you had resorted to basic human drives like an animal, just to survive. Just imagine that devastation...


So here's my list, in order, of things I would do after 4 years of life on a solitary island:

as soon as I get rescued...

1) Have a 2 hour shower
2) Shave
3) Have a ridiculous feast of all the finest foods around
4) Get a haircut
5) Get laid by the first good-looking girl I see
6) Get totally wasted and smash a bottle of JD out of pure frustration

as soon as I get home...


7) Go to the girl I love and apologize for every last mistake I ever made... and hopefully get laid, or at least have a passionate make-out session
8) Go home to my family
9) Check out my grave and see what's engraved on my headstone
10) Discover that it reads, "Here lies Travis Brooke-Bisschop, Son, Brother, Drunkard, etc. etc..." "Beloved by ALL who were ever graced by his presence!"
11) Ridicule my brother for not insisting it read "Noticeable Minto" in addition to the aforementioned quote.
12) Listen to my favourite CDs for hours on end
13) Get ahold of all of my friends and throw a party in celebration of my return
14) Get totally wasted and smash a bottle of JD out of pure frustration (again)

boring things to follow...

15) Find an apartment and settle in (hopefully someone kept all of my shit in storage or something)
16) Get laid as much as possible
17) Get a job and struggle like crazy to pretend that I'm not totally warped from the whole experience

and last but not least...

18) NEVER take another day for granted



I'm sure there's a multitude of things I left out of that list, but at least it's a good start.

No comments: