Sunday, July 17, 2005

One day you'll wake up, and they'll be advertising on police cars...

Last night marked the third time I got to see Matt Good live in concert. And I gotta say it was the best show he's put on yet.

It was my first time at the Kee to Bala, which turns out is an awesome venue. It doesn't look like much from the front, but the inside and back are set up nicely. The main floor is about 7 feet below the stage, so no fans can fuck with mic stands or cables or anything, and a horseshoe shape is raised up around the main floor so people can see over the heads of the jumping fools. Then there's the upstairs portion, and the deck outside that overlooks the water. It's a pretty sweet setup, and if I ever get the funds to do it, I'd like to own a place like that to host bands and stuff.

I went to the show with Shan and Lauren, and boy-howdy did we ever fucking sweat. It was a hot night all around, and the Kee doesn't have any air conditioning, unless you count opening the windows as AC. Mind you, the air outside was warm anyway.

Alot of his solo tunes were played, mainly from the latest album. He played a few long songs like Avalanche and Blue Skies, which kinda rambled on and on in the heat, but they were good nonetheless. My personal highlights were Suburbia with Matt only doing vocals, and Rich on the keyboard, as well as Advertising on Police Cars. I'd never heard those ones live before, and they were awesome. He also showcased the new single Oh Be Joyful, which hits the radio in about a week I think. Sounded pretty good for the first time hearing it.

The show wrapped up with the classic encore, started by the crowd chanting "K-I-C-K-A-S-S, that's the way we spell success", and the band busting out Giant. The final song was Matt alone with the acoustic, singing Apparitions while the band all jumped in the lake to cool down.

Even after only 3 or 4 songs the band was soaked in sweat, much like the opening act was. They went by the name of Mobile, and played about 10 songs I think. They were pretty good, and really got the crowd into the mood I thought. Apparently one of the dudes passed out from the heat or something.

Oh ya, the second song that Matt and the guys did was Alert Status Red, and he fucked up the lyrics right off the bat. He screwed it up and then said "stop, stop, fuck it." He went on to explain that when a singer forgets the lyrics to a song, he generally looks at the audio guy and pretends that his mic is fucking up on him. It was pretty funny that he admitted that he screwed up, and they restarted the song and played it properly.

Pretty sweet night overall, and definitely an unforgettable one. I've never experienced that kind of heat and discomfort at a concert before, and I doubt I ever will again. It was a rockin' good time, and the feeling of the floorboards drooping below us during the jumping of Hello Time Bomb and Load Me Up was also something to remember.

Can't wait till he's back in town again.

2 comments:

Dave said...

great show.

the only problem i've found with the kee over the years, is that it draws out some real assholes. like drunk as hell old guys who jump during everything.

Anonymous said...

my good fuck we certainly did sweat a lot that night. I didn't think the show was all that fabulous though, I wish he had played more old stuff.......but what can you do. I blame the fucking Kee for the vericose veins I am going to get from all that standing...bastards ha ha ha. Yes mobile was very good. I was so tired after that shizzat. Thanks for driving you reluctant bastard.