Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Broken Metric Mouse

Well last weekend was a pretty good one, with lots of running around and shit.

Thursday Jay and I went out to see the new Batman flick, which was pretty good, I must say. Since I had dinner with friends at 7, we decided on the 9:40 show. The restaurant fucked up my order so I got free dessert. Mint. So Jay told me the damn movie was only an hour and a half long, but it was well over 2 hours. I didn't get home until 12:30 and was dead the next day, as I had to be up at 6 a.m. as usual.

Friday a bunch of us went out for Shannon's birthday downtown, but since stupid Jason fucked up I was dead tired, and home by midnight. We had a good time though, it's just a shame I couldn't stick around and get ruined. Apparently I missed a free beer from Sleeman's too. Fucking Jason...

Saturday I went to Ryan's triathalon down in Guelph. We ran into his roommate Grimwood, and saw lots of sexy men in speedos. It was fucking hot, so I strutted around like a peacock all day with my shirt off, chest puffed out to display my sexy white torso. I ended up with a nice sunburn at the end of it. Ryan came 34th out of 350, which is pretty inferior if you ask me. Mind you, he was sick from my dad's flu, so I guess he has a legit excuse.

From there I took off to London to grab the futon from my stepsister's joint. I stopped in there for a few brews, packed up the truck and took off for the girls' place. Only Steph was home, so we sat around and talked for a bit. Then I grabbed some McD's dinner to infuse my gut with a healthy dose of lips and assholes. I carried on to TO and spend the night at the old man's place.

The next day I was geared up for the concert, and to see Andrea and Geoff. They came by and we headed downtown to meet with Fin and some friends for the concert. It was another hot fuckin day, and naturally the drinks there cost us a fortune.

The show was really good. Fin's buddy Adrian played with The Most Serene Republic, who were surprisingly good. He's actually the lead singer, and he had his quirky Gord Downie-esque body movements going pretty good. They've got a record deal with Broken Social Scene's label, which is awesome. I grabbed the wicked CD by Stars called Set Yourself on Fire. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes quality music. If JoJo and the Backstreet Boys are more your style, I'd suggest you avoid this album like the plague. Seriously. Wouldn't wanna open your eyes to good stuff, heaven forbid.

Metric put on a solid show, the singer-chick was really into it with dancing and shit. And from afar she looked kinda hot. Fin said she's not that great, but he'd nail her for sure. And he's one picky bastard. But honestly their show was high quality. I actually might buy the album, making it the first ever album I'd have with a female lead singer. One thing that spoiled their set was this prick behind me who kept yelling "yeh-eee-yeah" in a really annoying way. He reminded me of this idiot I knew who did that alot. I had a right mind to turn around and kindly ask him to shut the fuck up. But I'm too damn nice to do that. That yell is still stuck in my skull right now, like a parasite. Argh.

BSS was amazing, as usual. Almost Crimes was by far the best song they played, but Andrea and I were left disappointed that we didn't get to hear our favourite songs, being Looks Just Like the Sun and Cause=Time respectively.

The show ended with Modest Mouse, who put on an awesome set. They we really into it, fiercely yelling the lyrics when they needed to be yelled, and keeping it cool when they had to. I grabbed a shirt of theirs form the merch tent. It has a buffalo on it and is green. I'm trying to buy a shirt from every concert I go to, plus it'll add some different colours to my pile of t-shirts. Most of em are blue and black. Very interesting.

All in all it was a day of great musicianship at a great venue (Olympic Island, one of the TO Islands). The ferry was a bit of a bitch, but what can ya do? Keep on rocking, that's what. Speaking of, it looks like I'm going to Live 8 for sure now. I'll rant about that soon. Mind you, Neil Young will be there now. Mint that.

No comments: