Monday, April 18, 2005

Jenny was a friend of mine

In case you couldn't tell, that last post was a completely bullshitted story. But I think it illustrated the point I was trying to make.

In the past week I've received a fair bit of feedback about a post I made half-drunkenly on St. Patty's Day. To be honest, I was a bit taken aback with the first comment that D left (which lead to a number of people telling me their opinions of her arguments). But I'm glad that D responded to that mystery commenter, and cleared up the meaning of what she had written.

The previous post to this is pretty self-explanatory, but the thing I wanted to comment on was the second argument brought up by D about portraying people in a bad way.

First of all, if you've ever been out drinking with me, you likely know that I get brutally drunk on most occasions. Most days I'd be the one that needs to be taken home, but I usually seem to find my own way (mainly because I spontaneously run out of the bar alone). And I do appreciate it when others take me home if I'm too drunk to make it on my own.

But if someone told people about my drunken antics, I don't think it's fair to be mad at that person for telling others. Whenever we go out drinking we know exactly what we're doing. Most of us (guys anyway) want to get hammered and have fun, and maybe even do something stupid once we leave the bar... i.e. stealing parking meters.

I find it interesting that I got no comments about portraying James and Steve as drunken thieves acting like monkeys bashing at that parking meter. But I did get criticism for saying Katie was too drunk for her own good, implying that she was a "drunken, helpless fool". Personally I'd say that posting about drunken criminal actions is a little worse than just drunken actions. For the record, I'm gonna do my best to avoid talking about crimes from now on. haha.

The main point is that we're all responsible for our own actions. And when we do get drunk beyond the level we should, is it really fair to criticize the people who tell it as it happened? A friend of mine, the former "Sober Sutton" (he drinks now), used to relay the stories that the drunks were never able to remember on their own. And I don't ever remember anyone getting mad at him for telling the truth about all the drunks that he had to baby-sit.

That said, I'm obviously not going to write lies about anyone, particularly my friends. And I'd never write anything personal or damaging to someone's reputation or anything like that. When you go out and get hammered, odds are alot of your friends are going to see you anyway, so putting those memories into print doesn't change much. It's just something to look back on and say, "what the fuck was I thinking?"

After all, if we don't learn from our mistakes and regrets, what will we learn from? Maybe we all need to consider the fact that anyone might say anything about us, so we need to be more responsible for what actions we do take when we go out boozing.

My intent with this blog is certainly not to make enemies out of friends, and I'm not trying to force my own opinions on anyone else. I'm just gonna say what I say, and if anyone ever has something to say about what I write, feel free to comment. It's easy as hell to remove a post, but don't forget that it's just as easy to get rid of comments, so keep it tasteful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

...and so it has come down to this. I have heard alot about this "crazy post" that Travis put up on his blogpage..(or whatever you call this place!)about the happenings of St. Patty's day, and I have come to say a little something of my own. For my debut performance on blogger.com I will be singing a little tune we all like to call....

"To anyone who is reading this that can not correctly describe any of the people mentioned in any of these stories to a criminalist sketcher please stop making comments on posts that you really have no right to be involved in."

* SIDENOTE *
Travis...first off THANKS for the cd that you made, I really enjoy it! I am not being smug here or trying to butter you up before i rip you "self righteous" heart out and blend it up for breakfast. I just wanted to say thanks!

I would also like to bring a new spin on this "talked about to death" story. Travis, the whole reason that anyone has posted a blog regarding your version of what happened that night is because there were some people deeply hurt by how you depicted their characters. Katie obviously wasn't too happy and being a friend of hers, I am trying to let others know that she is much more than a "drunken, helpless fool". If you've ever had the chance to meet or speak with Katie, then you will understand that she is fabulous in every way. The other person that was hurt was myself. To set the record straight I was drunk...NOT sober, and I ain't afraid to post it! So Travis, please consult those who you will be telling your stories about first to see if they would even like to be NAMED in them, as clearly other people we do not yet know will read them and take them to heart.

Travis, D did NOT post another blog to CLARIFY what she said, she posted another blog to send some words to whoever else is reading this. She stands by her guns, which is an admireable quality.

The only other thing that I can write here (mainly because I am AMAZED that we have to resort to writing shiz about our nights on the internet and not talking about them) is essentially the difference between talking about crazy nights with friends and typing them out for all to see on the internet. So yea, maybe James and Steve don't mind you telling stories about them acting like monkeys (bless them for being able to make $20.45 out of a stolen parking meter!!) but other people DO care about what is said about them where millions of other people can read it.

Saying that you were unfairly criticized for "telling the story as it is" is unfair. Katie knew who these people were, and although we didn't it's not fair of either of us to judge them based on where we ended up on our cab ride. I am not going to lie, I was a little scared, mostly that I would have to get OUT of the cab and find another one to get me home. Those guys were creepy (sorry Katie), but I talked to Katie the day after and she's known them for practically her whole life.

To add a little more, you were not retelling the story to a bunch of friends, you RETYPED the story for millions and I'm sure that if "sober sutton" did that with some of his stories he would face some peeved people too. Putting these memories into print is like when Paris chose to put sex on a videotape....doesn't change much eh?

As far as having to "baby-sit" katie, our "drunkard friend", she never asked to be "babysat" she's a big girl and can cross the street without holding your hand. Just because you felt that she might be in trouble and decided to help her out (which is a nice thing to do) doesn't turn her into an invalid that we need to baby proof downtown london for. And if you think otherwise try actually taking care of YOURSELF Travis, when you've had one too many and your dad isn't around to tuck you in.

I am buying you a journal WITH PAPER for your next birthday.

ciao

Anonymous said...

Woah Woah Woah
I read this last post by "Kate" (if that is her real name), and needless to say I was shocked. She refered to those two fine young man who managed to take that parking meter as "monkeys". Well how many monkeys do you know that can rip a 90 pound metal parking meter out of the ground on a rainy night, and carry it practically across town to remove the treasure within. I think these two alpha males should be praised for their initiative in this particular situation. I have been around parking meters my entire life and I can not even imagine how these two managed to do what they did. In closing, I beleive that these two gentlemen deserve much more credit than they have recieved, and I would be the first to sign up to their fan club. I salute you James and Steve wherever you are.....