Tuesday, March 08, 2005

International Women's Day

Today marked a day that I did my best to be gentlemanly, but I soon came to realize that:

A) I didn't act much differently than I do most days,
B) Nobody else seemed to notice, and
C) My female roomates still think I "hate women" for some reason.

Despite the biased views of some of my friends, I actually don't hate women. No more than I hate the average alarm clock in the morning... Some days they annoy the fuck out of you, some days they save your ass, and some days they're just fine the way they are. Alarm clocks do have one advantage however, which is labelled the "OFF" button. Just kidding.

I've had alot of criticism as of late for laughing when women get hurt (like that figure skater who whacked her head off the ice a while back), commenting on the pendulum of women rights having swung too far, and critcizing certain behaviours of girls around our fair city.
But the bottom line is, I laugh just as hard when men get hurt (if not harder, since men tend to do stupider things), I understand the reasons for, and motivations behind, women's rights movements, and I'd have to say that the guys around this town piss me off far more than the girls ever will.

But make no mistake, I "hate women". At least in the eyes of people who hold up those negative, irritatingly effective, constructs of who I am as a person. What I mean by this is simple: if you want to see things in a certain way, you will see them that way. Regardless of mounds of evidence to the contrary, that one anti-whatever joke out of the 100 other jokes becomes the focus of all attention. It's sad to watch people fall into this trap of believing what can almost certainly be called lies, and I do my best to avoid these constructs in my daily life.

I just think it would be nice if the rest of the world used a little objectivity once in awhile too.

No comments: